FOLLOW YEASIR SIR

Monday 6 May 2013

School Essay 1-12

My first day at school
My mother accompanied me to school on the first day. Other parents accompanied their children as well. We all waited in front of the school office. Soon a teacher came and led us to some classrooms. There we were put into four separate classes. This was when some children began to cry as the parents were not allowed into the classrooms. I did not cry because I had been to kindergarten before. Actually my mother went home soon after for she knew I would be all right.
It was an enjoyable time for me as I got to know my new classmates. The teacher was very busy writing down our particulars so we had plenty of time to ourselves.
Meantime some children continued to sob while their parents looked in anxiously through the windows.
Soon recess came. Some of us headed for the tuck-shop while the rest headed for their parents. I bought a drink with the money my mother gave me. Getting to know my new friends had made me thirsty.
After recess we went back to out classroom and my new friends and I managed to coax two boys to stop crying. In fact, soon we were laughing and playing together. Once in a while the teacher had to tell us to keep quiet as we were making too much noise.
Still some parents looked in anxiously through the windows.
Finally the bell rang for us to go home. Some of us were very relieved to be reunited with our parents. I too was glad to see my mother waiting for me at the school gate. I had made many friends. It had been a wonderful first day at school.

Words:
sob to cry noisily
tuck-shop A shop where candy and other sweets are sold
coax
to persuade someone gently to do something

Road  safety
Everyday many people are involved in road accidents. Some are killed. Many more are injured or maimed. So it is important for us to learn to use the roads properly and safely. No sane person would like to be involved in an accident. As the roads are very busy nowadays, we should be very careful when crossing one. It is safer to use a pedestrian crossing or an overhead bridge whenever one is available. Never cross a road by dashing across it. That is inviting trouble. If there are no crossings, then we must look carefully right and left and cross only when it is safe to do so.
Some of us take the bus to school. It is important that we do not try to get on or off a bus while it is still moving. I tried to get on a moving bus once. It dragged me a short distance and nearly ran over me. I was lucky to escape with only some scratches on my legs. Also we must not fool around while in the bus. A suddenly lurch can send us knocking our heads against something hard.
Using a bicycle can be dangerous too. We must pay attention on the road and never cycle too far out to the middle of the road. We must obey all traffic rules. Also we must make sure our bicycles are in good condition with working brakes, lights etc.
These are some things we can do to avoid accidents. However there is no guarantee that we will never be involved in one. The important thing is to stay alert at all times while using the roads. We must know what is happening around us. In that way we can take necessary action to avoid danger whenever we see one. Road safety is very much up to how we use the roads. Use them carefully and we may be able to use them for a long time. Use them carelessly and we may never be able to use them again.
maim to injure a person so severely that a part of their body will no longer work as it should
dash move quickly
lurch
to move in an irregular way, especially making sudden movements backwards or forwards or from side to side

Write a story based on this line : "By evening, she was running a high fever ... "
Far up in the mountains of Canada, there is an old abandoned log cabin. Once it was occupied by a young couple who wanted to distance themselves from the chaos of this modern world. Here they were miles away from the nearest town. Bob, the husband, made the occasional trip into town to buy supplies whereas Jan, his wife, spent her free time by the fire, sewing. Their life was simply idyllic. Then, one midwinter's day, Jan woke up from bed with a strange ache in her bones. Putting it down to overwork, Bob shooed her to bed and made sure she rested. Though Jan was impatient to get to her chores, Bob soothed her, "Relax, Sugar. You're overdoing things. All these chores will be here when you recover."
However, Jan seemed to be getting worse instead of recovering. By evening, she was running a high fever and in greater pain. In spite of his best efforts, Bob could not manage to ease her suffering. And then suddenly, she started to lapse into unconsciousness.
It was then obvious that she was seriously ill. What could Bob do? He had no experience in treating the sick and Jan was getting worse by the minute. He knew that there was an old doctor in town but he lived three miles away, downhill. Pot-bellied and obese, there was no way the doctor could make it up to their cabin.
Something had to be done quickly! Bob racked his brains but to no avail. The only thing left to do was to go to the doctor. In Jan's condition, she could never walk that far in the waist-deep snow. Bob would have to carry her!
Bob searched his mind for a way to move poor, sick Jan. Then, he remembered. He had once made a sledge so that they could ride together over the mountain. They never got around to using it though, because the whole mountain was thickly covered with rocks and trees. He had never found a safe way down, not even once.
"Well," he thought, "looks like I'm going to have to try it anyhow," as he dug out the sledge from the storeroom. "Jan may die unless I get her to the doctor, and life means nothing to me without her." With this thought in mind, Bob gently tucked Jan into the sledge, got in the front, and with a short prayer for safety, pushed off.
How they got through that ride alive, Bob has never figured out. As trees loomed up in front of him and just as quickly whizzed by his side, close enough to touch, he felt relieved that Jan was not awake to experience the ride. It was all he could do not to scream as collision seemed imminent, time and again, with only inches to spare.
At last, bursting from the mountainside, the town came into view. Barely slowing down, they sped through the icy streets, only losing speed as they neared the doctor's house. The sledge, battered through the journey, collapsed in the left ski as it came to a halt, spilling out its occupants. Bob picked up his Jan and made his way into the doctor's house.
After what seemed to be a long winter, Jan recovered fully from her illness but Bob never recovered from his fright. They moved into the little town so as to be near help in times of crisis, and have lived there ever since.
idyllic simple and carefree
rack one's brains strain to find a solution
batter to damage as by heavy wear

Write a story using this sentence as your first line : "It seemed like it was going to be another one of those days when nothing much happens."
It seemed like it was going to be another one of those days when nothing much happens. Ken and his friends were playing their regular football game along the banks of the river near their small village. In the midst of the game, Ken's attention was drawn to a tourist boat passing by. Actually, tourist boats were quite common in their area. It was also common for some of the tourists to take potshots at the birds and squirrels along the way. This is why Ken's friends were not really surprised to hear a few small explosions from the boat. They ignored the sounds and went on with their game.
However, they were startled when they suddenly heard loud cries for help coming from the boat. They could see that the crew were running about, panic-stricken. Some people were shouting to them.
"Their engine must have blown up! Look, there's smoke and the boat's out of control. It's going towards the rapids," Ken pointed out to his friends.
Ken's village was located at the point at which the tourist boats turned around and headed back upstream. Three kilometers downstream were the rapids, which spelt trouble for the boats.
"It's heading straight for the rapids! They're in trouble! The boat will be smashed against the rocks!" Ken exclaimed. "Let's get help!"
The boys sprinted back to the village for help. Along the way, they met the village headman. Stumbling over his words in his haste, Ken explained the emergency to the headman.
The headman was a man of quick action. Without wasting any time, he yelled out to some men to help him carry his powerful outboard motor to the jetty. With the motor tied firmly onto bamboo poles, they rushed hurriedly down to the jetty.
Their haste was indeed necessary for, by the time the men had reached the jetty, they saw that the boat was dangerously close to the rapids. There was not a moment to lose! With quick hands, the headman attached the outboard motor to his sampan and then sped off to the rescue. Upon reaching the tourist boat with bare minutes to spare, the headman realized his mistake. How could so many tourists be packed into this small sampan? The headman was filled with despair. Then he saw the rope that had been used to tie down the outboard motor to the bamboo poles. It had been flung into the sampan in his haste. Quickly, he grabbed the rope and flung it to the boatmen on the tourist boat.
 "I'll tow you back!" he shouted.
After the boatmen had tied the rope firmly to their boat, the headman made a swift U-turn and then, putting the engine on full power, he steered his sampan upstream. The rope gave a jerk and then, to everyone's relief and joy, the tourist boat moved forward, obediently following the small sampan.
Loud cheers burst out from the tourist boat and the observers on the shore. Thanks to the headman's courage, the cooperation from the villagers, and the quick action of the boys, the tourists were saved from certain death in the rapids.
take potshot a shot which is fired carelessly or with little preparation
sprint to run as fast as you can over a short distance
stumble to act or speak falteringly


Describe an incident when a moment of forgetfulness got you into trouble.
The morning sun shone persistently on my still-shut eyelids. Annoyed, I rolled on to the right side of my mattress. Wondering about the time, I stretched out my arm to grasp the little, round alarm clock on my bedside table. I forced open my eyes, focused them on the numbers ... and screeched! Leaping out of my bed, I swung open the wardrobe door. Throwing my school uniform on the bed, I dashed to the bathroom. Halfway, I spun around and grabbed my school bag, deciding not to brush my teeth. Soon, I had shoved my feet into my shoes and pounced onto my bicycle. My parents stood motionless, staring at me as I whizzed past.
As my bicycle raced on, I noticed a group of schoolgirls looking my way with great interest. Well, well! Obviously, I was still attractive even with uncombed hair. My heart was pounding furiously in my chest as I whirred past a few cars on the road. The drivers seemed to stare with disbelief that one could pedal so swiftly. In no time, I reached the school gate, which was just about to be closed.
Without bothering to explain myself to the priggish duo on guard duty, I hopped off my bike and dashed off. After locking my precious iron steed at the shed, I sprinted to the school hall. As I burst into the hall, I braked to change direction and made a beeline for the back of my class. Screeching to a halt, I took my place behind my classmates.
In the whole gathering of students, I seemed to be the centre of attraction. It did not matter much to me at the moment for I was used to being looked at. However, to say the least, I was a little surprised when everyone stopped staring blankly at me and started to giggle.
Suddenly, the whole hall was filled with roars and bellows of laughter. Smiling at my audience, I decided to take a bow. Then, I noticed that the bottom half of my trousers were the wrong color. My line of vision moved upwards, revealing that the rest of my pants were also the wrong color, and so was my shirt. At first, even my powerful brain could not figure it out.
"Daniel! Why on earth are you in pajamas?" my friend blurted out amidst the hollers of laughter.
The feeling of sheer horror swept through my entire frame. My mouth was stuck open in an "0" shape for a few long seconds. My mind was filled only with shock as darkness mercifully started to engulf me.
Once again. I awoke with lights playing on my eyelids. At first I had little memory of what had happened, but one look at the group of people peering down at me brought the whole incident back to mind. The young boys were all clad in white uniforms and grinning quite lunatically at me. In. the high corner of the room, I saw a red crescent. Then the horrible little squirts started to call out for their seniors. Outside, I heard fresh gales of laughter. The brats were chortling. I was still clad in pajamas. Not knowing what else to do, I feigned unconsciousness again ...
in no time in a relatively short time
make a beeline for to straight to
gales of laughter a forceful outburst


Imagine a world where nobody gets sick or old. Write a story based in this fictitious world
It's my birthday today. I have lost count of how many birthdays have passed, but I still keep my tradition. I climb to the top of the nearby hill, bringing a handful of dirt with me. I press it into the ground. Then, I sit down to prepare my mind for my next annual rite: reminding myself of who I am and why I am living. I made this hill, actually, and I'm still building it up. I started on my tenth birthday. Now, the hill is large enough for me to ski down each winter. In a world where people stay young forever, persistence pays.
Persistence was what led Dr Syue Cano to discover the secret of eternal youth. At the age of eighty-four, he identified the gene that causes humans to age and the specific radiation that destroys it. No one will know whether he detonated his "Youth" bomb for the sake of his own immortality or for the sake of the other human beings in the world. However, his defective heart could not withstand the impact of the blast. He died the instant the bomb exploded.
Mankind will always be grateful for the discovery to which Dr Cano dedicated his life. However, he left the world with one problem: the earth's limited natural resources. Even with plant growth accelerated by scientific wizardry, food and oxygen were becoming inadequate for the world population, which only kept booming.
Some subtractions were necessary for the survival of the human species. The only solution was to remove some of the people by unnatural means, that is, to execute them. Thus, this was why all crimes were made punishable by execution: murder, theft, adultery, slander, hoarding of food... the list is very long. This was the only way to maintain the valance of nature.
That's where I come in. I am an Executioner. I work alone, never considering the risk. People say I have a death wish. Perhaps I do. Certainly, yesterday's job was no waltz in the park. Rob Tao was suspected of stealing and hoarding food. My job was to check this out. As always, I was to be detective, judge, jury and executioner.
I had enough stealth technology to break into Tao's compound undetected. To get into the house was also a cinch. My vibra-blade cut through the wall like it was butter. In the house, my Arometer detected food, lots of it. I went down corridor after corridor, following the bleeps of light on my Arometer.
The signals went wild outside one closed door. There was a lot of human activity inside, judging by my HUO sensors. I primed a grenade and opened the door just a crack -- enough to see whom I would be executing.
Then I deprimed the grenade. Sitting there were thousands of children. Rob Tao stood amongst them, holding a huge pot of steaming mush. He smiled at me, seemingly unperturbed.
"You're feeding all these children?" I asked, flabbergasted.
"Yes," he replied quietly.
"How do you get so much food? I'm sure you steal it," I said.
"Yes, I do. Going to execute me?" Still that gentle smile. Sitting here now, on my hill, I don't understand why I just walked out. I had no excuse for letting him get away with his crime. It was not my decision to make. Yet... I can't remember what I'm killing for; can't remember what I'm living for.
cinch something easy to accomplish
unperturbed free from emotional agitation or nervous tension
flabbergasted to shock someone, usually by telling them something they were not expecting

Describe your relationship with your father
Every evening, as I am doing my schoolwork in my room, the familiar sound of my father's car reaches my ears. I imagine his Fort Cortina coming up the driveway, the engine purring to a stop. I know that in a few moments, my father will be pausing outside my door, looking in quietly, so as not to stir me from my concentration. I know he will feel pleased as he watches me studying. My father, at 53 years, has thinning hair swept back from his forehead. He has a slim and athletic body. His broad shoulders and rather serious demeanor give him an air of authority. Yet, behind his steel-rimmed glasses are soft, kind eyes.
My father has always been my source of encouragement. When I was very young, he would take a book from our small home library and read aloud to me every night. Secure and loved, on his lap, I was introduced to the fascinating realm of books. He would read stories and parables from the Bible. Thus, he instilled in me a sense of God's presence in this world.
I remember how, as he was reading, my father would point out the spelling of words. Then one day, he instructed me to read the words for myself. To our shared delight, I found that I was able to do so. From that day onwards, I was the one who would read aloud, with his gentle correction every now and then. Soon after that, I was picking up the hooks and reading them on my own. I became quite a bookworm.
As I grew into boyhood, my bookish ways and disinterest in outdoor games made me overweight, clumsy and rather unfit. One day, my father stood observing me as I was running to a field, just 50 yards away. I arrived there, huffing and puffing. Worriedly, he told me that he would not like to see his son grow up into an unhealthy man.
From that day onwards, he started to take me on jogs. At first, I was a most reluctant jogger. However, these days, as I stand perched on the peak of Mount Kina, breathing deeply after a good run, I remember his words, "A healthy body breeds a healthy mind."
My father has a store of wise sayings which may seem common to some but always strike the correct note with me. Once, when I was really depressed, he put an arm around my shoulders and gently asked me what was troubling me. Lifting my bowed head, I poured out my heart's discontent. After listening, he consoled me. Then he said, "Smile, and the world around you will smile." Somehow, I was able to smile in spite of my problems.
At another time, when I was about to give up on a task, he advised me, "If a job deserves to be done, it deserves to be done well." Somehow, his words gave me the strength to try again, and I was able to succeed. Since then, whenever I feel daunted by a task, his advice always comes to mind and this spurs me on to persevere.
Looking back, I realize that every step of the way, through my childhood and adolescence, my father has been there for me whenever I needed him. When I was sick, he would rush me to the doctor. When I was sick at heart, he would know just the right things to say. In any kind of trouble, I would just have to give him a call. He would surely be there.
I am only a few years away from adulthood and know that many more challenges lie ahead of me. However, I can be sure that my father will be there, looking out for me all the way. Why? Because he loves me.
demeanor The way in which a person behaves
daunt to make someone feel slightly frightened or worried about their ability to achieve something
spur on to encourage an activity

Describe some of the minor accidents that you have experienced
Accidents are part and parcel of life itself and to say that you have never had a silly accident in your life would be like saying, "I'm a green-faced alien from Pluto." Well, I have certainly had my share of ridiculous accidents. Not all of them have changed my life, but they have certainly made me more aware of my limitations. Yet, sometimes, remembering those times, I think, "I can't believe I actually did that!" There was this incident about five years back. I was at a piano recital. Actually, it was my debut, and I was shaking with nerves. Finally, the dreaded moment arrived. I sat at the piano and started playing. Halfway through the first movement, I felt a tickle in my nose. My fingers were needed on the piano keys so I could not reach tip to rub my nose. I tried holding my breath... to no avail. I exploded in a huge, sloppy sneeze that blasted my music sheets right off the piano. Absolutely humiliated, I dashed off the stage. Nothing could get me out there to face the amused audience.
Then, there was this skating incident which occurred only a year ago. My father had bought me my first pair of in-line skates. Actually, they were my first pair of skates. I had never skated before. Well, I confidently put them on and fastened them, not knowing what was ahead. Standing up, I shoved off. Then, for the first time in years, I lost all control of my bodily movements. I was waving my arms around, like a drowning chicken trying to fly out of the water. My legs had no sense of direction, with my left leg heading north and my right heading south-east. Finally managing to get upright, I found myself staring the gate right in its metal grille. There was a loud Crash! Boom! and Bang! Fortunately, all that was injured was my self-confidence, thanks to my protective pads.
Another accident occurred right in the safety of my home, in the kitchen, actually. My mother had just bought a microwave oven. On that fateful day, my mother had left me a plate of fried rice to be reheated for my lunch. On the plate were the usual accompaniments to the coconut-flavored rice: vegetables, groundnuts, chillied prawns and a whole hard-boiled egg. I was, of course, still considered a user with "L" (Learner) plates as far as this oven was concerned. However, warming up food was not complicated ... or so I thought. Carefully, I placed the plate of food in the microwave oven, turned the dial to "high" and pressed the lever to start the oven. It started smoothly. Gleefully, I watched my dish of food turn graceful circles in the oven. After a few rounds, I opened the oven to take out my warmed-up food. At that very second, the egg exploded. Boom! It was "Egg yolk keeps falling on my head". My clothes, my hair, the whole kitchen was covered with egg-yolk and rice that the force of the explosion threw. There was no lunch for me that day either.
Well, there you have them, some of the grimace-inspiring details of my life. So, am I clumsy or just low in luck? A little of both, I think.
part and parcel to be a necessary feature of a particular experience
to no avail of no use
grimace A sharp contortion of the face expressive of pain, contempt, or disgust


Describe an occasion when you were caught in a rainstorm.
"Argh!" screamed my friend as the water balloon hit her full in the face. She stood in shock for a moment before charging after me, laughing and yelling out threats. We were at our annual class party and having the time of our lives. This year, we had decided on the picnic at the beach. After eating, we had all sorts of games and competitions. I could not remember when I had last enjoyed myself so much.
However, all good things must come to an end, and as it neared evening, we started preparing to leave. I was supposed to walk the short distance to my aunt's house after the party. About halfway there, I remembered that I had left a T-shirt on the beach. I debated whether or not to return for it as I could see dark clouds heading my way. However, the shirt was an old favorite of mine and I was so wet from the water balloons that a little more water would not make a difference.
The beach was now deserted. I looked around for my T-shirt but it was nowhere to be found. Finally, after minutes of fruitless search, I gave up. The sky was dark, with thick thunderclouds and it had begun to drizzle. I started heading back.
Then, suddenly, with a loud crash of thunder, the heavens burst and torrents of rain came pouring down. Holding my backpack over my head in an effort to ward off the relentless blows of the rain, I scanned the area for a place of refuge.
Finally spotting a tiny shack at a distance, I dashed for it. I reached it at last and darted in, drenched to the bone and shivering from head to toe. As I shook out my hair, I mentally kicked myself for getting into this situation.
Wondering when the rain would stop, I stared out at it, dejectedly. As I gazed, however, my feelings of dejection turned into awe. The black clouds hung low. The sea was turbulent, with powerful waves crashing onto the shore. On the left, where jagged boulders stood in the sea, the waves threw themselves on them, sending up sprays of sea water high into the air. Gust after gust of howling wind blew through the trees. Lightning streaked across the sky, time and again, lighting up the whole scene for a split second each time.
I stood transfixed, captivated by the power and violence of the storm. It was beautiful, scary and magnificent at the same time. I felt I had to be part of it, to be at one with nature.
I ran out and stood in the middle of the storm, reveling in the stinging rain and chilling wind, thrilling to the sounds of the thunder and the crashing waves, and relishing the magnificence of nature.
drizzle rain in very small light drops
ward off try to prevent
transfix to render motionless, as with a fixed stare or by arousing terror or awe

Describe the sights and sounds at the end of a long day.
"Cuckoo! Cuckoo!..." the cuckoo clock on the wall of my office called five times."Yes!" I shouted in my head. "Time to pack up!".
I straightened my stiff back and neck, the result of hours of hunching over documents and surveyed the whole noise-polluted room. Andrew was yelling at Mac for throwing a paper plane at him; Mandy and Lily were chatting animatedly, undoubtedly about clothes or make-up; Jay and Rayne were chatting up Sarah, the new clerk, probably trying to get her to go for a drink; and Cynthia was doing the waltz in her three-inch heels, heading out the door.
With a grunt, I pushed my chair back, heaved myself up, started stuffing things into my briefcase and my huge handbag. I couldn't wait to get home.
As I stepped out through the glass doors of the air-conditioned building, a blast of hot, humid air slammed me full in the face, stunning me for a few seconds. Then I continued towards the bus stop. I groaned
aloud when I saw the hordes of people gathered there and regretted leaving my car at home. Sigh! I had no choice but to join the crowd.
Buses came and left. Every time it was the same anxious craning to read the bus number above the heads of the crowd. Then, there was the rushing and jostling as I tried to force my puny frame through the
masses of burly men and women. I was ready to perish amidst the petrol fumes and the stink of stale sweat when I finally managed to squeeze my right foot onto a bus step. Then, up I went, forced by the
pushing crowd into the packed bus.
Feeling woozy and yet hyped up, I searched for a seat. No way! They were all definitely occupied. I grabbed hold of a strap and tried to stand firmly Every time the bus lurched forward, we would all sway
backwards. The bus hurtled on, careening madly round corners, only to stop with a sudden jolt. I was crushed on all sides, and had my toes trod on several times.
Then, we got caught in a massive traffic jam. Cars, buses and motorcycles around us kept up a constant honking. The burning rays of the sun stoked up the oven which our bus had now become. I became nauseous and thought many times about getting off. Yet, I was too tired to walk home. Inch by inch we moved and one and a half hours later, I finally arrived at my stop, which, thankfully, was just in front of
my flat. I shoved my way out, my strict upbringing forcing me to mutter a few insincere "Excuse-me's".
I dragged my body up the flights of stairs to my second-floor flat. I did not even bother to try the elevator as I knew I would be competing with a crowd of thirty or more residents. Finally, I reached my door
and, after a little fumbling for my keys, I entered my apartment. With a sigh of utmost relief, I dropped my briefcase and handbag on the floor, turned on the television and collapsed on the couch. "All in
a day's work, my girl!" I told myself, and gazed with unseeing eyes at the television.
perish to die
typed up artificially stimulated or high excited
fumble search blindly and uncertainly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews of this BLOG

COUNTRIES USING THIS WEBSITE (ENGLISHWITHYEASIR)

Flag Counter

Alexa Traffic