FOLLOW YEASIR SIR

Thursday 27 February 2014

Verbs Usually Not Continuous

abhor verb [ T not continuous ] -rr- formal
to hate a way of behaving or thinking, often because you think it is not moral
I abhor all forms of racism.
abominate verb [ T not continuous ] formal
to hate something very much
He abominates cruelty of all kinds.
adore verb [ T not continuous ] LOVE
1. to love someone very much, especially in an admiring or respectful way, or to like something very much
She has one son and she adores him.
I absolutely adore chocolate.
[ + -ing verb ] Don't you just adore ly ing in a hot bath?
adore verb [ T not continuous ] RELIGION
2. formal to worship
Let us adore God for all his works.
appeal verb ATTRACT
4. [ I not continuous ] to interest or attract someone
I've haven't been skiing - it's never really appealed.
It's a programme designed to appeal mainly to 16 to 25 year-olds.
I think what appeals to me about his painting is the colours he uses.
appear verb SEEM
3. [ L or I not continuous ] to seem
You've got to appear ( to be ) calm in an interview even if you're terrified underneath.
To people who don't know him he probably appears ( to be ) rather unfriendly.
Things aren't always what they appear to be .
[ + to infinitive ] She appears to actually like the man, which I find incredible.
There appears to be some mistake.
[ + ( that ) ] It appears (that) she left the party alone.
It appears to me (that) (= I think that) we need to make some changes.
formal It would appear (that) (= It seems that) nobody on board the aircraft actually had a licence to fly it.
[ + adverb or preposition ] It appears as if/as though I was wrong.
Everything was not as it appeared - secret deals had been done.
I know how it must appear, but it's not really as bad as it looks.
"Has he left?" " It appears not/so ."
[ after so ] "I think we're late." " So it appears."
boast verb HAVE
2. [ T not continuous ] to have or own something to be proud of
Ireland boasts beautiful beaches, great restaurants and friendly locals.
clash verb NOT ATTRACTIVE
4. [ I not continuous ] If colours or styles clash, they look ugly or wrong together
I like red and orange together, though lots of people think they clash.
clash verb HAPPEN TOGETHER
5. [ I not continuous ] UK If two events clash, they happen at the same time in a way that is not convenient
Her party clashes with my brother's wedding, so I won't be able to go.
come verb came , come EXIST
8. [ I + adverb or preposition not continuous ] to exist or be available
Do these trousers come in any other colour?
Runners come in all shapes and sizes - fat and thin, short and tall.
This cuddly baby doll comes with her own blanket and bottle.
They're the best sunglasses you can buy, but they don't come cheap (= they are expensive) .
comprehend verb [ I or T not continuous ] slightly formal
to understand something completely
I fail to comprehend their attitude.
He doesn't seem to comprehend the scale of the problem
[ + question word ] I'll never comprehend wh y she did what she did.
[ + that ] I don't think he fully comprehends that she won't be here to help him.
comprise verb [ T L only + noun not continuous ] formal
to have as parts or members, or to be those parts or members
The course comprises a class book, a practice book and an audio tape.
The class is comprised mainly of Italian and French students.
Italian students comprise 60% of the class.
constitute verb BE CONSIDERED AS
1. [ L only + noun not continuous ] formal to be or be considered as something
This latest defeat constitutes a major setback for the government.
constitute verb FORM PART OF
2. [ L not continuous ] to form or make something
Women constitute about 10% of Parliament.
The under-18s constitute nearly 25% of the town's population.
contain verb HOLD
1. [ T not continuous ] to have something inside or include something as a part
How much liquid do you think this bottle contains?
I've lost a file containing a lot of important documents.
Try to avoid foods which contain a lot of fat.
The allegations contained in this report are very serious.
contain verb CONTROL
2. [ T not continuous ] to keep something harmful within limits and not allow it to spread
Farms in the area have been closed off in an attempt to contain the disease.
More police were sent to help contain the violence.
credit verb BELIEVE
2. [ T not continuous ] to believe something which seems unlikely to be true
He even tried to pretend he was a film star's son - can you credit it?
It was hard to credit some of the stories we heard about her.
dare verb BE BRAVE/RUDE
1. [ I not continuous ] to be brave enough to do something difficult or dangerous, or to be rude or silly enough to do something that you have no right to do
I was going to ask if his dog was any better, but I didn't dare in case it had died.
[ + ( to ) infinitive ] Everyone in the office complains that he smells awful, but nobody dares (to) mention it to him.
Do you dare (to) tell him the news?
[ + infinitive without to ] I wouldn't dare have a party in my flat in case the neighbours complained.
Dare you tell him the news?
I daren't/don't dare think how much it's going to cost.
I'd never dare (to) talk to my mother the way Ben talks to his.
[ + to infinitive ] He was under attack for daring to criticize the Prime Minister.
deem verb [ T not continuous ] formal
to consider or judge something in a particular way
[ + object + noun or adjective ] The area has now been deemed safe.
[ + noun or adjective ] We will provide help whenever you deem it appropriate.
[ + object + to infinitive ] Anyone not paying the registration fee by 31 March will be deemed to have withdrawn from the scheme.
deplore verb [ T not continuous ] formal
to say or think that something is very bad
We deeply deplore the loss of life.
He said that he deplored all violence.
UK The attitude of the Minister is to be deplored (= is very bad) .
deprecate verb formal NOT APPROVE
1. [ T not continuous ] to not approve of something or say that you do not approve of something
We deprecate this use of company funds for political purposes.
deserve verb [ T not continuous ]
to have earned or to be given something because of the way you have behaved or the qualities you have
After all that hard work, you deserve a holiday.
Chris deserves our special thanks for all his efforts.
I hope they get the punishment they deserve.
[ + to infinitive ] They certainly deserved to win that match.
desire verb [ T not continuous ] formal WANT
1. to want something, especially strongly
I desire only to be left in peace.
The hotel had everything you could possibly desire.
What does her Ladyship desire me to do/desire of me?
[ + to infinitive ] The President desires to meet the new Prime Minister.
desire verb [ T not continuous ] formal SEXUAL NEED
2. to have a strong feeling that you want to have sex with someone
despise verb [ T not continuous ]
to feel a strong dislike for someone or something because you think they are bad or have no value
The two groups despise each other.
She despised him for the way he treated her sister.
[ R ] He despised himself for be ing such a coward.
detest verb [ T not continuous ]
to hate someone or something very much
I detest any kind of cruelty.
[ + -ing verb ] I detest hav ing to get up when it's dark outside.
her detested older brother
disgust verb [ T not continuous ]
to make you feel extreme dislike or disapproval
Doesn't all this violence on TV disgust you?
disown verb [ T not continuous ]
to make it known that you no longer have any connection with someone that you were closely connected with
It's a story set in the last century about a girl whose parents disowned her when she married a foreigner.
distinguish verb
1. [ I or T not continuous ] to notice or understand the difference between two things, or to make one person or thing seem different from another
He's colour-blind and can't distinguish (the difference) between red and green easily.
I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing Spanish from Portuguese.
It's important to distinguish between business and pleasure.
It's not the beauty so much as the range of his voice that distinguishes him from other tenors.
entertain verb THINK ABOUT
3. [ T not continuous ] formal to hold in your mind or to be willing to consider or accept
The General refused to entertain the possibility of defeat.
esteem verb [ T not continuous ]
to respect someone or have a good opinion of them
Her work is highly esteemed by all her colleagues.
[ + object + noun or adjective ] old-fashioned I would esteem (= consider) it a favour if you would accompany me.
follow verb BE RESULT
7. [ not continuous ] to happen as a result, or to be a likely result
[ + that ] Just because I agreed last time, it doesn't necessarily follow that I will do so again.
forgive verb [ I or T not continuous ] forgave , forgiven
1. to stop blaming or being angry with someone for something they have done, or not punish them for something
I don't think she's ever quite forgiven me for getting her name wrong that time.
I've never found it easy to forgive and forget (= to behave as if something wrong had never happened).
[ R ] I'd never forgive my self if anything happened to the kids.
go verb going , went , gone DIVIDE
20. [ I not continuous ] (of a number) to fit into another number especially resulting in a whole number
5 into 11 won't go.
5 goes into 11 twice with 1 left over.
go verb going , went , gone BE EXPRESSED
24. [ I not continuous ] to be expressed, sung or played
I can never remember how that song goes.
"Doesn't it go something like this?" said Joan, and played the first couple of bars on her guitar.
[ + ( that ) ] The story goes (= People say) (that) he was sacked after he was caught stealing company property.
A headless ghost walks the castle at night - or so the story goes (= so people say) .
go verb going , went , gone BE SITUATED
26. [ I usually + adverb or preposition not continuous ] to be put in a particular place, especially as the usual place
The sofa went against that wall before we had the radiator put in.
I'll put it all away if you tell me where everything goes.
go verb going , went , gone BE ACCEPTABLE
28. [ I not continuous ] to look or be acceptable or suitable
That picture would go well on the wall in the living room.
The TV would go nicely in that corner, wouldn't it?
If I wear the orange hat with the blue dress, do you think it will go?
Just remember that I'm the boss and what I say goes (= you have to accept what I say) .
My parents don't worry too much about what I get up to, and most of the time anything goes (= I can do what I want) .
have verb had , had POSSESS
1. [ T not continuous ] ( also 've/'s , mainly UK have got ) to own or possess
They have a beautiful home.
He has plenty of money but no style.
I've got two brothers.
Have you got time to finish the report today?
I've got a suggestion/an idea.
have verb had , had SEX
12. [ T not continuous ] slang to have sex with someone
He asked me how many men I'd had.
hold verb held , held CONTAIN
5. [ T not continuous ] to contain or be able to contain something
This jug holds exactly one pint.
One bag won't hold all of the shopping - we'd better take two.
Modern computers can hold huge amounts of information.
hold verb held , held CONTAIN
6. [ T not continuous ] to have or contain something which you will experience
Who can tell what the future holds?
She's very religious, so death holds no fear for her.
hold verb held , held BELIEVE
12. [ T not continuous ] to believe an idea or opinion
[ + to infinitive ] Small amounts of alcohol are held to be good for the heart.
You sold it to me, so if it breaks I'll hold you responsible (= make you take responsibility) .
impress verb [ I or T not continuous ]
to cause someone to admire or respect you because of something that you have done or said
I remember when I was a child being very impressed with how many toys she had.
Your mother was clearly not impressed by our behaviour in the restaurant.
He tried to impress me with his extensive knowledge of wine.
formal I'm afraid the new theatre fails to impress.
involve verb [ T not continuous ]
to include someone or something in something, or to make them take part in or feel part of it
The second accident involved two cars and a lorry.
I prefer teaching methods that actively involve students in learn ing .
[ + -ing verb ] The operation involves putt ing a small tube into your heart.
Research involving the use of biological warfare agents will be used for defensive purposes.
She's been involved with animal rights for many years.
It would be difficult not to involve the child's father in the arrangements.
ken verb [ I or T not continuous ] -nn- Scottish
to know someone or something
know verb knew , known HAVE INFORMATION
1. [ I or T not continuous ] to have information in your mind
"Where did he go?" "I don't know."
"What does it cost?" "Ask Kate. She'll know."
She knows the name of every kid in the school.
I don't know anything about this.
[ + question word ] We don't know wh en he's arriving.
I don't know (= understand) wh at all the fuss is about.
[ + ( that ) ] I just knew (that) it was going to be a disaster.
She knew (= was aware) (that) something was wrong.
[ + object + to infinitive ] Even small amounts of these substances are known to cause skin problems.
formal The authorities know him to be (= know that he is) a cocaine dealer.
know verb knew , known HAVE INFORMATION
2. [ T not continuous ] used to ask someone to tell you a piece of information
Do you know the time?
[ + question word ] Do you know wh ere the Post Office is?
know verb knew , known HAVE INFORMATION
3. [ I or T not continuous ] to be certain
[ + ( that ) ] I know (that) she'll be really pleased to hear the news.
[ + question word ] I don't know wh ether I should tell her or not.
The party is at Sarah's house as/so far as I know (= I think but I am not certain) .
know verb knew , known BE FAMILIAR WITH
4. [ T not continuous ] to be familiar with or have experience and understanding of
I've known Daniel since we were at school together.
She grew up in Paris so she knows it well.
I've seen the film 'Casablanca' so many times that I know a lot of it by heart (= I know it in my memory) .
Knowing Sarah (= from my experience of her in the past) , she'll have done a good job.
formal I have known (= experienced) great happiness in my life.
know verb knew , known BE FAMILIAR WITH
5. [ I or T not continuous ] ( also know about ) If you know a subject, you are familiar with it and understand it
Do you know about computers?
She knows her subject inside out / UK also backwards (= very well) .
know verb knew , known BE FAMILIAR WITH
6. [ T not continuous ] If you know a language, you can speak and understand it
Do you know any French?
know verb knew , known BE FAMILIAR WITH
7. [ T not continuous ] to recognize someone or something
That's Peter alright - I'd know him anywhere!
I know a bargain when I see one.
obtain verb formal EXIST
2. [ I not continuous ] (especially of a situation) to exist
Conditions of extreme poverty now obtain in many parts of the country.
own verb HAVE LEGALLY
1. [ T not continuous ] to have something that legally belongs to you
We own our house.
I've never owned a suit in my life.
seat verb
3. [ T not continuous ] (of a building, room, table or vehicle) to have enough seats for
The new concert hall seats 1500 people.
typify verb [ T not continuous ]
1. Something which typifies a particular group of things shows all the characteristics that you would usually expect from it
With her cropped hair and her mannish clothes, she typifies the sort of feminist often feared by men.
typify verb [ T not continuous ]
2. to be characteristic of something
His latest book reflects the old preoccupations with sex and religion that typify much of his work.
have verb had , had POSSESS
1. [ T not continuous ] ( also 've/'s , mainly UK have got ) to own or possess
They have a beautiful home.
He has plenty of money but no style.
I've got two brothers.
Have you got time to finish the report today?
I've got a suggestion/an idea.
have verb had , had POSSESS
1. [ T not continuous ] ( also 've/'s , mainly UK have got ) to own or possess
They have a beautiful home.
He has plenty of money but no style.
I've got two brothers.
Have you got time to finish the report today?
I've got a suggestion/an idea.
know verb knew , known BE FAMILIAR WITH
5. [ I or T not continuous ] ( also know about ) If you know a subject, you are familiar with it and understand it
Do you know about computers?
She knows her subject inside out / UK also backwards (= very well) . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews of this BLOG

COUNTRIES USING THIS WEBSITE (ENGLISHWITHYEASIR)

Flag Counter

Alexa Traffic