FOLLOW YEASIR SIR

Thursday 27 February 2014

Verbs+ING

acknowledge verb [ T ]
to accept, admit or recognize something, or the truth or existence of something
[ + -ing verb ] She acknowledged having been at fault.
admit verb -tt- ACCEPT
 [ + -ing verb ] She admitted making a mistake.
adore verb [ T not continuous ] LOVE
 [ + -ing verb ] Don't you just adore lying in a hot bath?
advise verb
 [ + -ing verb ] I'd advise waiting until tomorrow.
advocate verb [ T ]
to publicly support or suggest an idea, development or way of doing something
[ + -ing verb ] She advocates taking a more long-term view.
allow verb GIVE PERMISSION
 [ + -ing verb ] Smoking is not allowed in this restaurant.
anticipate verb [ T ]
to imagine or expect that something will happen, sometimes taking action in preparation for it happening
 [ + -ing verb ] They anticipate having several applicants for the job.
avoid verb [ T ]
to stay away from someone or something, or prevent something from happening or not allow yourself to do something
 [ + -ing verb ] I try to avoid go ing shopping on Saturdays.
be verb being , was , were , been DESCRIPTION
 [ + -ing verb ] The problem is deciding what to do.
bear verb bore , borne or US ALSO born ACCEPT
1. [ T ] to accept, tolerate or endure especially something unpleasant
 [ + -ing verb ] I can't bear being bored.
beat verb beat , beaten or US ALSO beat DEFEAT
2. informal to be more enjoyable than another activity or experience
[ + -ing verb ] Taking the bus sure beats walking .
begin verb [ I or T ] beginning , began , begun
 [ + -ing verb ] Jane has just begun learning to drive.
begrudge verb [ T ]
to allow or give unwillingly
 [ + -ing verb ] She begrudged paying so much for an ice-cream cone.
bother verb MAKE AN EFFORT
1. [ I or T ] to make the effort to do something
 [ + -ing verb ] Don't bother making the bed - I'll do it later.
bring verb [ T ] brought , brought CAUSE
2. to cause, result in or produce a state or condition
 [ + -ing verb ] The explosion brought the whole building crashing to the ground.
catch verb caught , caught STOP ESCAPING
2. [ T ] to find and stop a person or animal that is trying to escape
 [ + -ing verb ] Two armed men were caught trying to cross the frontier at night.
catch verb caught , caught NOTICE
3. [ T ] to discover, see or realise something, especially someone doing something wrong
[ + -ing verb ] He caught her reading his old love letters.
clock verb [ T ] SPEED
2. to show or reach a particular speed or distance on a measuring device
[ + -ing verb ] The police clocked him doing 80 mph in a 50 mph area.
come verb came , come MOVE TO SPEAKER
1. [ I ] to move or travel towards the speaker or with the speaker
[ + -ing verb ] He came rushing over when I fell.
commence verb [ I or T ] formal
to begin something
 [ + -ing verb ] Unfortunately, he commenced speaking before all the guests had finished eating.
consider verb POSSIBILITY
1. [ I or T ] to spend time thinking about a possibility or making a decision
 [ + -ing verb ] We're considering selling the house.
contemplate verb [ I or T ]
to spend time considering a possible future action, or to consider one particular thing for a long time in a serious and quiet way
[ + -ing verb ] I'm contemplating going abroad for a year.
continue verb
1. [ I or T ] to keep happening, existing or doing something, or to cause something or someone to do this
 [ + -ing verb ] If she continues drinking like that, I'll have to carry her home.
continue verb
2. [ I ] to start to do something again after a pause
 [ + -ing verb ] He paused for a moment to listen and then continued eating .
defer verb [ T ] -rr-
to delay something until a later time; to postpone
 [ + -ing verb ] Can we defer making a decision until next week
delay verb
1. [ I or T ] to make something happen at a later time than originally planned or expected
 [ + -ing verb ] I think we should delay deciding about this until next year.
deny verb [ T ] NOT TRUE
1. to say that something is not true
 [ + -ing verb ] Neil denies breaking the window.
depict verb [ T ]
to represent or show something in a picture or story
 [ + -ing verb ] People were shocked by the advertisement which depicted a woman beating her husband.
depress verb [ T ] CAUSE SADNESS
1. to cause someone to feel unhappy and without hope for the future
 [ + -ing verb ] Doesn't it depress you listening to the news these days?
detest verb [ T not continuous ]
 [ + -ing verb ] I detest having to get up when it's dark outside.
dislike verb [ T ]
 [ + -ing verb ] I dislike walking and I hate the countryside.
do verb did , done FINISH
10. [ I ] If you say that you have done with something or someone, or have done performing a particular action, you mean that you have finished what you were doing with something or someone, or what you were saying to someone, or that you have finished the action
 [ + -ing verb ] I haven't done talking to you yet.
dread verb [ T ]
1. to feel extremely worried or frightened about something that is going to happen or that might happen
 [ + -ing verb ] I'm dreading having to meet his parents.
enjoy verb [ T ] PLEASURE
1. to get pleasure from something
 [ + -ing verb ] I want to travel because I enjoy meeting people and seeing new places.
entail verb [ T ] formal
to make something necessary, or to involve something
 [ + -ing verb ] Repairing the roof will entail spending a lot of money.
envisage verb [ T ] ( US also envision ) slightly formal
1. to imagine or expect something in the future, especially something good
 [ + -ing verb ] When do you envisage finishing the project?
evade verb [ T ]
1. slightly formal to avoid or escape from someone or something
 [ + -ing verb ] He can't evade doing military service forever.
fancy verb LIKE
1. [ T ] mainly UK to want to have or do something
 [ + -ing verb ] I didn't fancy swimming in that water.
favour UK , US favor verb [ T ]
1. to support or prefer one particular possibility
 [ + -ing verb ] I generally favour travelling by night, when the roads are quiet.
find verb found , found EXPERIENCE A FEELING
7. [ T ] to think or feel a particular way about someone or something
 [ + -ing verb ] I find living in the city quite stressful.
finish verb COMPLETE/END
1. [ I or T ] to complete something or come to the end of an activity
 [ + -ing verb ] Have you finished reading that magazine?
forget verb forgetting , forgot , forgotten NOT REMEMBER
1. [ I or T ] to be unable to remember a fact, something that happened, or how to do something
 [ + -ing verb ] She would never forget seeing the Himalayas for the first time.
get verb getting , got , got or US gotten CAUSE
11. [ T ] to cause something to happen, or cause someone or something to do something
 [ + -ing verb ] Haven't you got the photocopier working yet?
go verb going , went , gone MOVE/TRAVEL
3. [ I ] to move or travel somewhere in order to do something
[ + -ing verb ] We go shopping every Friday night.
I've never gone skiing .
hate verb [ I or T ]
to dislike someone or something very much
 [ + -ing verb ] I have always hated speaking in public.
I hate him telling me what do to all the time.
have verb had , had RECEIVE
6. [ T ] to receive, accept or allow something to happen
 [ + -ing verb ] I won't have those kids running all over my flowerbeds (= I refuse to allow them to do this) .
imagine verb [ T ]
1. to form or have a mental picture or idea of something
 [ + -ing verb ] She imagined herself sitting in her favourite armchair back home.
imagine verb [ T ]
4. used to express shock or surprise, often at someone else's behaviour
 [ + -ing verb ] Imagine spending all that money on a coat!
include verb [ T ]
to contain something as a part of something else, or to make something part of something else
[ + -ing verb ] Your responsibilities will include making appointments on my behalf.
involve verb [ T not continuous ]
to include someone or something in something, or to make them take part in or feel part of it
 [ + -ing verb ] The operation involves putting a small tube into your heart.
justify verb [ T ]
1. to give or to be a good reason for
[ + -ing verb ] I can't really justify taking another day off work.
keep verb kept , kept CONTINUE DOING
12. [ I + -ing verb ] ( also keep on ) to continue doing something without stopping, or to do it repeatedly
He keeps trying to distract me.
I keep on thinking I've seen her before somewhere.
I kept hoping that he'd phone me.
keep verb kept , kept DELAY
13. [ T ] to delay someone or prevent them from doing something
 [ + -ing verb ] I'm so sorry to keep you waiting .
She kept me talking on the phone for half an hour.
leave verb left , left WAIT
7. [ T ] If you leave (doing) something, you wait before you do it
 [ + -ing verb ] They left booking their holiday till/to the last minute.
like verb ENJOY
1. [ T ] to enjoy or approve of something or someone
 [ + -ing verb ] I don't like upsetting people.
loathe verb [ T ]
to hate someone or something
 [ + -ing verb ] I loathe doing housework.
love verb [ T ] LIKE SOMETHING
2. to like something very much
 [ + -ing verb ] I love skiing .
mean verb meant , meant HAVE RESULT
3. [ T ] to have a particular result
[ + -ing verb ] If we want to catch the 7.30 train, that will mean leaving the house at 6.00.
mention verb [ T ]
1. to speak about something quickly, giving little detail or using few words
[ + -ing verb ] My wife mentioned seeing you the other day.
mind verb OPPOSE
1. [ I or T ] (used in questions and negatives) to be annoyed or worried by something
 [ + -ing verb ] I don't mind having a dog in the house so long as it's clean.
Would you mind turing (= Please would you turn) your radio down a little please?
 [ + object + -ing verb ] Do you mind me smoking ?
miss verb NOT DO
1. [ T ] to fail to do or experience something, often something planned or expected, or to avoid doing or experiencing something
 [ + -ing verb ] I only just missed being run over by a bus this morning.
miss verb FEEL SAD
6. [ T ] to feel sad that a person or thing is not present
 [ + -ing verb ] I haven't missed smoking like I'd expected to.
necessitate verb [ T ] formal
to cause something to be needed, or to make something necessary
 [ + -ing verb ] An important meeting necessitates my being in London on Friday.
need verb MUST HAVE
2. [ T ] If you say that someone or something needs something else, you mean that they should have it, or would get an advantage from having it
 [ + -ing verb ] This room needs brightening up a bit.
oppose verb [ T ]
to disagree with something or someone, often by speaking or fighting against them
 [ + -ing verb ] I would certainly oppose changing the system.
pardon verb [ T ]
1. to forgive someone for something they have said or done. This word is often used in polite expressions
 [ + -ing verb ] Pardon me interrupting , but there's a client to see you.
permit verb -tt-
1. [ T ] slightly formal to allow something
 [ + -ing verb ] The prison authorities permit visiting only once a month.
picture verb [ T ]
to imagine something
 [ + -ing verb ] Try to picture yourself lying on a beach in the hot sun.
postpone verb [ T ]
to delay an event and plan or decide that it should happen at a later date or time
 [ + -ing verb ] We've had to postpone going to France because the children are ill.
practise UK , US practice verb TRAINING
1. [ I or T ] to do or play something regularly or repeatedly in order to become skilled at it
 [ + -ing verb ] His written French is very good but he needs to practise speaking it.
prefer verb [ T ] -rr- CHOOSE
1. to like, choose or want one thing rather than another
 [ + -ing verb ] He prefers watching rugby to playing it.
prevent verb [ T ]
to stop something from happening or someone from doing something
 [ + -ing verb ] His disability prevents him (from) driving .
propose verb SUGGEST
1. [ T ] to offer or state a possible plan or action for other people to consider
 [ + -ing verb ] He proposed dealing directly with the suppliers.
propose verb INTEND
5. [ T ] formal to intend to do something
 [ + -ing verb ] How do you propose tackling this problem?
quit verb [ I or T ] quitting , quit , quit
to stop doing something or leave a job or a place
 [ + -ing verb ] I'm going to quit smoking .
Quit wasting my time!
recall verb REMEMBER
1. [ I or T ] to bring the memory of a past event into your mind, and often to give a description of what you remember
 [ + -ing verb ] She recalled seeing him outside the shop on the night of the robbery.
recollect verb [ I or T ] formal
to remember something
 [ + -ing verb ] He does not recollect seeing her at the party.
recommend verb [ T ]
to suggest that someone or something would be good or suitable for a particular job or purpose, or to suggest that a particular action should be done
 [ + -ing verb ] I recommend writing your feelings down on paper.
regret verb [ T ] -tt-
to feel sorry about a situation, especially something sad or wrong or a mistake that you have made
 [ + -ing verb ] I have always regretted not having studied harder at school.
relish verb [ T ] slightly formal
1. to like or enjoy something
 [ + -ing verb ] I don't relish telling her that her son has been arrested.
remember verb
1. [ I or T ] to be able to bring back a piece of information into your mind, or to keep a piece of information in your memory
 [ + -ing verb ] I don't remember signing a contract.
report verb TELL
1. [ I or T ] to give a description of something or information about it to someone
 [ + -ing verb ] Spies reported seeing a build-up of soldiers.
represent verb DESCRIBE
4. [ T ] to show or describe something or someone
[ + -ing verb ] The statue represents St George killing the dragon.
resent verb [ T ]
to feel angry because you have been forced to accept someone or something that you do not like
 [ + -ing verb ] He resents having to explain his work to other people.
resist verb
3. [ T ] to stop yourself from doing something that you want to do
 [ + -ing verb ] She couldn't resist laughing at him in those clothes.
resume verb formal
1. [ I or T ] If an activity resumes, or if you resume it, it starts again after a pause
 [ + -ing verb ] He stopped to take a sip of water and then resumed speaking .
risk verb [ T ]
1. to do something although there is a chance of a bad result
 [ + -ing verb ] He risked losing his house when his company went bankrupt.
save verb NOT WASTE
5. [ I or T ] to prevent time, money or effort being wasted or spent
 [ + -ing verb ] I'll lend you a bag for your trip - it'll save you buying one specially.
see verb seeing , saw , seen USE EYES
1. [ I or T ] to be conscious of what is around you by using your eyes
 [ + -ing verb ] From the window we could see the children playing in the yard.
send verb [ T ] sent , sent CAUSE TO HAPPEN
3. to cause someone or something to do a particular thing, or to cause something to happen
 [ + -ing verb ] The announcement of the fall in profits sent the company's share price plummeting (= caused it to go down a lot) .
The draught from the fan sent papers flying all over the room.
spot verb -tt- SEE
1. [ T ] to see or notice someone or something, usually because you are looking hard
 [ + -ing verb ] The police spotted him driving a stolen car.
stand verb stood , stood ACCEPT
6. [ T usually in negatives ] to successfully accept or bear something which is unpleasant or difficult
 [ + -ing verb ] I can't stand hearing her cry.
start verb BEGIN
1. [ I or T ] to begin doing something
 [ + -ing verb ] They started building the house in January.
stick verb stuck , stuck ACCEPT
7. [ T ] UK informal to bear or accept something or someone unpleasant
 [ + -ing verb ] I don't know how you can stick living in this place.
stop verb -pp- FINISH
1. [ I or T ] to finish doing something that you were doing
 [ + -ing verb ] Stop shouting - you're giving me a headache!
I couldn't stop laughing .
stop verb -pp- FINISH
4. [ I + -ing verb ] to finish doing something that you do regularly or as a habit
Apparently she's stopped drinking .
I stopped seeing him last year.
stop verb -pp- PREVENT
6. [ T ] to prevent someone from doing something
 [ + -ing verb ] They've put barriers up to stop people (from) getting through.
Something must be done to stop the fighting.
suggest verb [ T ] MENTION
1. to mention an idea, possible plan or action for other people to consider
 [ + -ing verb ] I suggested putting the matter to the committee.
surprise verb [ T ]
2. to find, catch or attack someone when they are not expecting it
The robbers had just opened the safe when they were surprised by the police.
[ + -ing verb ] His mother surprised him helping himself to her gin.
take verb took , taken GO WITH
11. [ T ] to go somewhere with someone, often paying for them or being responsible for them
We're taking the children to the zoo on Saturday.
[ + to infinitive ] I took my elderly parents to look at some new houses.
[ + -ing verb ] Will you take me swimming tomorrow?
take verb took , taken NEED
15. [ T ] to need
 [ + -ing verb ] His story took some believing (= was difficult to believe) .
tolerate verb [ T ] ACCEPT
1. to accept behaviour and beliefs which are different from your own, although you might not agree with or approve of them
I will not tolerate that sort of behaviour in my class.
[ + -ing verb ] I won't tolerate lying .
try verb ATTEMPT
1. [ I or T ] to attempt to do something
 [ + -ing verb ] Perhaps you should try getting up (= You should get up) earlier in the mornings.
try verb TEST
2. [ T ] to test something to see if it is suitable or useful or if it works
 [ + -ing verb ] Try using a different shampoo.
I thought I might try parachuting .
veto verb [ T ]
to refuse to allow something
 [ + -ing verb ] My boss vetoed my taking any more time off this year.
want verb [ T ] NEED
4. to need something
 [ + -ing verb ] The wine is in the fridge - it just wants cooling for a couple of minutes.
If you ask me that child wants a good slap!
witness verb [ T ] BE PRESENT
1. to see something happen, especially an accident or crime
 [ + -ing verb ] He arrived home just in time to witness his brother being taken away by the police.
write verb wrote , written or old use writ
2. [ I or T ] to send a letter or similar message to someone, giving them information or expressing your thoughts or feelings
 [ + -ing verb ] The travel company has written giving information about the trip.
keep verb kept , kept CONTINUE DOING
12. [ I + -ing verb ] ( also keep on ) to continue doing something without stopping, or to do it repeatedly
He keeps trying to distract me.
I keep on thinking I've seen her before somewhere.
I kept hoping that he'd phone me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews of this BLOG

COUNTRIES USING THIS WEBSITE (ENGLISHWITHYEASIR)

Flag Counter

Alexa Traffic